Thursday, December 07, 2006

Come On, Fellas...I kid...I kid!











If you are the star running back on a football team that has won several Florida state championships in a row and has been ranked in the USA Today Top 5 for the last few years, it's probably not a good idea to unveil certain things during a televised interview after a big win. Those "things" being that you have been the recipient of many, many gifts.

''I didn't even count it,'' player Chris Rainey said in a taped interview regarding a wad of cash a woman gave him. "When I walk around, people are buying me food, giving me money. I'm like, 'Damn, I'm glad I'm Chris Rainey. It's real nice to be me.' ''

"My cousin came and was like, "This man want to meet you. He wants you to sign this ball. And he'll give you free clothes,' " Rainey said on the tape. "And I was like, 'What?' So I signed a ball and he gave all kinds of free watches, necklace, shoes, clothes."

Of course, this is triggering an investigation to determine if gifts actually were accepted. If so, the Lakeland team could be forced to forfeit their 15-0 season.

Like any up and coming High School star these days, Rainey has a lawyer. And apparently, his lawyer is invoking the "He was just joking" defense.

"Anyone listening to or reading his comments should be able to hear or see the hyperbole in those comments," said attorney Robert Puterbaugh. "Chris unequivocally denies having accepted any remuneration, gift or donation for participating in any sports activity."

No doubt, barrister! It's clear as the ambulances you chase: Rainey is a prankster. And a funny one. I mean what is funnier than being all jazzed after your state semifinal win, amassing 340 some odd yards, and then telling the world about all the benefits you have received. Wonder why the reporter didn't fall out laughing on the spot?

A lesson for all you big time players on big time High School teams: Keep ya moufs shut!....oh and keep a lawyer on retainer, too...just in case people don't get your wacky sense of humor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home